Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mexican Pinto Beans

I apologize for missing last week. I tried making the batch & taking pictures & keep forgetting to post it! Next Sunday will be homemade marshmallows. And for this week ...

It's cold outside in most of the States & a warm meal is just what we need! So this week, I am linking you to a great video found on the Castle Ridge Self-Reliant Sisters site. It's for Mexican Pinto Beans. I made a double batch and froze half of it, it freezes beautifully.


But first, a couple of quick notes:

  • She didn't find any rocks in her beans, but I made a double batch and found EIGHT in mine, so check these well.
  • This recipe took me a long time, and we have church later in the day. So I made it in the morning (and it took ALL morning) and then kept it on low in the crock pot while we were at church.
  • The refried beans were great too, but a little spicy for my littlest ones, next time I don't think I'll add the chorizo to theirs.
  • I didn't use the bell peppers, beef paste or the cojita cheese she suggested. I tried to mainly rely on my food storage, so I added a larger can of diced tomatoes & a whole can of beef broth, and used some leftover meat I already had cooked and it was still delish.

Do you have a great food storage recipe to share? Please e-mail it to me at waay2busy (at) hotmail (dot) com. And we'll post it for one of the week's! :)