Simple ways to get your family used to using & eating wheat: (taken directly from the handout on the everyday food storage site)
- Try it in desserts first--who can turn down a cookie?
- No need to use 100 % whole wheat at all times. Half white and half whole wheat makes excellent results. Slowly increase the whole wheat amount each time you cook.
- Use recipes you know your family already likes. Have your kids help you make the treat! Kids love to try it when they help.
- Don’t warn your family that there is whole wheat in the food they’re about to eat. Your family will assume you made the recipe as usual so sit back and smile to yourself as you see them gobble it up...wheat and all!
- Wheat flour is brown in color and best disguised in recipes using brown sugar,
molasses, chocolate, fruit or vegetables, such as bananas, applesauce, carrots, or zucchini in breads, cakes and cookies.