Why Grind your own flour??? (taken directly from the Castleridge Self Reliant Sisters handout)
Freshly Ground Whole Wheat Flour Contains: (taken directly from the Castleridge Self Reliant Sisters handout)
- B vitamins, such as thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, biotin, pantothenic acid and B6. These vitamins help in production of energy from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Energy is important not only for physical activity, but help to maintain growth and repair body tissues.
- Vitamin E, acts as an antioxidant, disabling free radicals. It also protects red and white blood cells, which means it is an important participant in your immune system.
- Magnesium, which helps with muscle contraction and nerve transmission.
- Potassium, which aids in normal fluid and electrolyte balance and helps maintain normal blood pressure.
- Zinc, which associates with insulin and is important in immunity, wound healing, and the ability to taste.
- There are also a number of phytochemicals in whole grain bread that may help in the prevention of a variety of chronic diseases.